By Stuart D. Lee
This is a whole source for students and scholars of Tolkien, in addition to avid enthusiasts, with assurance of his existence, paintings, dominant subject matters, affects, and the serious response to his writing.
- An in-depth exam of Tolkien’s complete paintings through a cadre of most sensible scholars
- Provides updated dialogue and research of Tolkien’s scholarly and literary works, together with his most up-to-date posthumous booklet, The Fall of Arthur, in addition to addressing modern variations, together with the recent Hobbit films
- Investigates quite a few topics throughout his physique of labor, comparable to mythmaking, medieval languages, nature, battle, faith, and the defeat of evil
- Discusses the effect of his paintings on paintings, movie, song, gaming, and next generations of fable writers
Read or Download A Companion to J. R. R. Tolkien (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Similar literary criticism & theory books
The Poetry Toolkit: For Readers and Writers presents scholars with the fundamental highbrow and functional instruments essential to learn, comprehend, and write poetry. Explains an important components of poetry in transparent language and an simply available demeanour bargains readers either the services of a longtime student and the insights of a training poet attracts on examples from greater than 1,500 years of English literature
Primo Levi (1919–1987) was once the writer of a wealthy physique of labor, together with memoirs and reflections on Auschwitz, poetry, technology fiction, ancient fiction and essays. specifically, his lucid and direct bills of his time at Auschwitz, started instantly after liberation in 1945 and sustained till weeks earlier than his suicide in 1987, has made him probably the most widespread of all Holocaust writer-survivors and the best publications we've got for the interrogation of that awful occasion.
In 1890, the good Cuban progressive chief José Martí wrote his most renowned poetry, Versos Sencillos, in a small city known as Haines Falls within the Catskill Mountains of latest York. honest and extremely own in tone, those verses shape a special autobiographical expression but have world-wide allure.
In Time, annoying, and American Literature, Cindy Weinstein examines canonical American authors who hire various tenses to inform a narrative that has already taken position. This publication argues that key texts within the archive of yankee literature are inconsistent of their retrospective prestige, ricocheting among earlier, current and destiny.
- Feminism and Global Chineseness: The Cultural Production of Controversial Women Authors
- Henry David Thoreau; Spiritual and Prophetic Writings (Modern Spiritual Masters Series)
- Poetic Language and Political Engagement in the Poetry of Keats (Studies in Major Literary Authors)
- Postmodernity in Spanish Fiction and Culture (Iberian and Latin American Studies)
Extra resources for A Companion to J. R. R. Tolkien (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)